Other Registers for ​Professional Engineers

Chartered Professional Engineers have access to the International Professional Engineers Register (IntPE(NZ)) and can also become Recognised Engineers or Design Verifiers. These are assessed against the same standard. You must meet some additional requirements to Register successfully.

International Professional Engineers Register (IntPE(NZ))

We’ve signed two agreements establishing international Registers for professional engineers:

These two agreements have the same Registration requirements, so we operate a single New Zealand section of both ​Registers called the International Professional Engineer Register (IntPE(NZ)).

How to become an International Professional Engineer

As well as demonstrating current competence against the standard for professional engineers, you must have:

  • A Washington Accord-accredited qualification
  • Two years of responsible engineering experience
  • Seven years of postgraduate professional engineering experience.

Recognised Engineer (RecEng)

Only recognised engineers can undertake dam safety work specified in the Building Act. A recognised engineer is defined by section 149 of the Building Act and must be registered as a Chartered Professional Engineer.

There are two types of recognised engineers:

  • Category A – ​requires specific assessment and undertakes all the functions specified in the Act:
    • Classify dams
    • Prepare and audit dam safety assurance programmes
    • Review dam safety assurance programmes.
  • Category B – no further assessment is required and you can only issue dam classification certificates for low potential impact dams only.

How to become a Recognised Engineer

You must demonstrate you’ve reached the Chartered Professional Engineering standard. To be recognised as a Category A recognised engineer, you’ll also need to meet some additional requirements listed in the Building (Dams Safety) Regulations 2008.

Design Verifier

Design Verifiers carry out design verification in one or more of the following equipment categories:

  • Pressure Equipment
  • Cranes
  • Passenger Ropeways.

Design Verifiers must hold current competence certificates issued by a Qualifications Issuing Agency, such as IPENZ.

How to become a Design Verifier

To apply for Design Verifier ​Registration you’ll need to meet the required Chartered Professional Engineering standard in a practice area that includes one or more of the categories of design verification work.